Novemeber Cup Action with Jay!

By Jay Mwamba

Novemeber Cup Action with Jay!

CSL [Nov. 14, 2018]

From Jay Mwamba




Finalists two seasons ago, Lansdowne Yonkers and the Shamrocks are on a collision course again in the Manning Cup final after both advanced to the last four of the State competition.


In pursuit of a third straight Manning Cup, holders Lansdowne held off Zum Schneider 3-2 in the quarterfinals on Randalls Island to book a spring date with Cedar Stars Academy. Kevin Grogan’s Shamrocks, meanwhile, knocked off New York Greek Americans 2-0 at the Metropolitan Oval. They face Pancyprian Freedoms in the semis.


Lansdowne defeated the Shamrocks 3-0 in the 2017 Manning final and retained the trophy last summer with a 1-0 decision over Greek Americans.



Against Zum, deadly fall signing Jack Doherty starred yet again for Lansdowne. He set up Daryl Kavanagh [35th] for the opener and then struck twice himself on resumption.


Doherty’s first was a brilliant solo effort during which he beat four players and rounded the goalkeeper. His second, a penalty, had the Bhoys 3-0 ahead with a minute remaining.


Then disaster nearly struck.


“On 89 minutes a lapse in concentration allowed Zum in for two quick goals, but there wasn't any time left for them to push for a third,” said relieved Lansdowne’s president William McGrory.


Junior Cabrera and Tomas Gomes scored for Zum.



The Bhoys might have been feeling the exertions from a 2-0 victory over NY Greek Americans in the second round of the USASA Werner Fricker Cup at Tibbetts Brook Park five days earlier.


Doherty had a hand in that triumph as well. He set up Aaron Dennis for the second goal after center back Leo Folla had headed in the first.


It was Lansdowne’s second win over the Greeks in six days, and their ninth victory in just over two weeks in all competitions ahead of the Zum encounter. 



Following their loss to Lansdowne, Greek Americans run into another Irish obstacle when they hosted Shamrocks in a clash between the last two Manning Cup losing finalists.


Captain Zachary Gosse’s superb volley from a Dylan McCabe corner handed the Rocks an early lead.


Kwesi Mills-Odoi was involved in the second goal, his deflected shot rebounding off a post for Travis Blair to finish calmly [80th]. 

“Fantastic win," said coach Kevin Grogan. "The Greeks dominated large portions of the game but to be fair to our players, our work ethic and resilience were excellent.”



Standing between the Shamrocks and a return to the final is a Pancyprian side that crushed the LISFL’s Serbia 7-0 in their quarterfinal tie to complete an all-CSL line-up in the semis.


Shavon [two], Andreas Chronis, player-technical director Panayiotis Onisiforou and Adam Himeno tallied for the Greek-Cypriots, winners of five Manning Cups between 2006 and 2012.



Explosive Williamsburg International continued their defense of the Flamhaft Cup with a 5-2 drubbing of Ossining Portuguese, thanks to John Kaddo.


He bagged all five goals to bring his-two match tally in the competition to seven – and 16 in all competitions this fall. Mark Gallager [two], Gerald van den Berg, Misha Carrel-Thomas and Nikita Petrov had the assists.


The rout put Williamsburg, 6-1 victors over Mineola ‘A’ last month, in the Round of 16.


A fixture ahead of Williamsburg, Stal Mielec blew past Brishna 4-0 and into the quarterfinals.


Bartek Dziuban, Kevin Romero, Radek Ksepka and 18-year-old Ivorian sensation Ismael Coulibaly produced the win.


Stal await the winner of the delayed Real Ole [CSL] versus Germania [EDSL] Round of 16 fixture.


The latter defeated Kid Super Samba 4-2. Ebrima Jallow and Jeffry Garay netted for the CSL envoys, both off Yankuba Janneh’s assists.



Manhattan Celtic are also through to the last eight in the Flamhaft Cup after besting Port Jefferson 4-2 on penalties. Marco Charnas had both goals in the 2-2 regulation time draw.



Winger Don “Messi” Oba and sweeper Guy Sergio Ballo each struck twice as Sporting SC produced a late flurry in a 5-1 rout of FC Japan in the Round of 32.


Oba scored in the 10th and 85th minutes, Ballo in the 75th and 80th.


“Tough match as [we were] 2-1 up until the 75th min,” observed Sporting boss Ed Romero. “We pulled away at the end. The pressed very well and made it very difficult to string passes or filter through balls. We like to keep the ball on the ground so it was difficult,” added Romero.


Still, Sporting kept on and late in the game got the go-ahead goal. “After that space opened up as FC Japan looked to push forward losing their shape and defensive organization.”



BW Gottschee, a storied CSL institution now playing in the LISFL, saw off Manhattan Kickers ‘A’ 3-2 to advance to the Flamhaft Cup’s Round of 16.


Kickers’ Albi Rexha briefly canceled out Greg Davis’ early strike conjured by Brandon Silva. But second half goals by Davis again and right back Cory Allen [80th] ended Kickers’ campaign.


Also in the Flamhaft Cup, Emiliano de las Fuentes got the Central Park Rangers Reds’ face-saver in a 4-1 shellacking by PDB NYI Rovers (LISFL).



Kickers’ reserves also dropped a 3-2 decision to D’Arpino Cup champions New York Athletic Club, in a game described by NYAC coach Bill Saporito as “a bit ramshackle.”


Gio LoMonaco drew the proverbial first blood for Kickers [20th], off a David Anderson pass.


NYAC leveled when their overlapping full backs Chris Greenfield and Jimmy Peters combined to make it 1-1. New signing Henning Sauerbier then weaved his way through the Kickers defense to make it 2-1.


Kickers, however, would benefit from a howler by the NYAC goalie allowing Antonio Ruiz to equalize before the interval.


“The game got stretched in the second half but was ultimately decided by another goalkeeping error, this one on the part of the Kickers' keeper,” said Saporito. “He let a free kick slip through his hands. That was harsh on him as he had played a solid game until that moment. But obviously, we'll take the win and move one.”


 It’s on to the quarterfinals now for NYAC where they face Shamrocks ‘B.’


The Irishmen demolished Doxa FC 7-0 in their Round of 16 tussle. James Whyte [two], John McAleenan [two], James Hudson, Darren Coleman and Jeff Greenspan connected.


"Great all round team performance," said captain Coleman. "The football we have been playing lately has been excellent and that's a credit to all the lads!”



“It wasn't pretty,” Williamsburg’s Charles von Rosenberg conceded after his side was hammered 9-3 by Greek Americans ‘B’ at the Metropolitan Oval.


“The Doylies were out of their depth against a talented NY Greek American Reserve squad,” he summed up. “Rich Clements, Danny Rivas, and Rafe Lopresti-Oakes preserved some pride as we rallied to score three goals in the second half.”


The Greeks’ Gonzalo Rodriguez and Mario Gagliano were in devastating form, each banging in four goals. Sebastian Ramirez accounted for the other.


Cedar Stars’ second unit will be the next to test the Greeks in the quarterfinals.  Stars evicted Zum ‘B’ 6-2.


“A tighter match than the result suggests!” declared Zum technical director Alexander Berscheid.


 Will Oswin and Matt Pfeiffer scored for Zum. 



D’Arpino Cup winners in 2016 and 2017, Lansdowne ‘B’ missed out on a semi-final berth this time around after a 4-3 penalty loss to Panatha USA’s reserves. They tied 1-1 in regulation.


“Despite dominating possession and creating lots of chances, the Bhoys only managed one goal in regular time from Marc Vilson and ended up going out in the dreaded penalty,” rued William McGrory.



Player-coach Rob O’Neil led Shamrocks 1960 to the quarterfinals with a 5-3 penalty victory over NYC Afghanistan.


He stopped a penalty against the Afghans to key the Rocks’ success. Hughie McGowan scored in the 1-1 regulation tie.



In a Strumpf Cup Round of 32 showdown between Metro Div. One’s two conference leaders, Timmy O’Driscoll’s first minute strike steered Lansdowne to a 1-0 decision over Richmond County at Tibbetts Park.


Landry Sanon [80th] had the solitary goal in NYC Metro Stars’ 1-0 defeat of NY Galicia.



Andres Sole, Dave Sandifer, Rob Day, Terrence McGovern and Daniel Cano shot Mr. Dennehy’s into the Strumpf Round of 16 via a 5-3 penalty result over NY Ittihad.  It was goalless after 90 minutes.


Elsewhere, Brandy Cineas and Ricardo Casimir were on target for Missile FC in a 2-all tie with Beyond Metro.  But the latter prevailed 4-2 on penalties.


New York Irish also went out on penalties to LISFL side Asteras.



Three seasons after beating the same side 4-2 in the Marth Cup final, Shamrocks’ Over-30s succumbed 5-4 on penalties to the LISFL’s Baisley in the Round of 16. 

Mike Dineen gave the Rocks the lead but 10-man Baisley leveled late [80th] and were flawless in the ensuing shootout.

“We’re disappointed with the result,” said Sean McMullan. “We had chances to finish the game off.”



Down two goals at the interval, Pancyprian Freedom’s Over-30s roared back to defeat LI Gaels 4-2 on a muddy grass field and reach the Marth Cup quarterfinals.


Anthony Barberio [two], Stelio Andreou and Pete Halkidis did the damage as

Greek Americans also came from behind to edge CPR Old Boys 2-1 and make it to the last eight.


Seb Sobczak had CPR ahead before Carlos Moncaleano and

Hemir Niebles turned it around.


In other Marth action, Hector Trujillo tallied as Manhattan Celtic Bhoys beat Integral 1-0 for a quarterfinal berth.



Manhattan Celtic Masters, meanwhile, thrashed Banatul 5-2 in the Vargas Cup for Over-40 teams.

Jackie Soussan [two], Val Gurariy, Roy Bejarano and Paul Roberts scored.












Soccer Resort

Soccer Resort